Oddly enough, I hardly ever ate macaroni and cheese in my lacto-ovo days. In fact I think I made it twice. But I seem to eat it a lot as a vegan. It's my ultimate comfort food...easy to whip up...deliciously warm, creamy, and "cheesy." Each time I make it I tinker with the original recipe a bit more. The last time I made it I think it was just about perfect. I used penne because I was out of macaroni, but I realized I loved it 100x more with the penne. Not sure why. But that's what I plan on using from now on.
Ingredients:
-4 cups cooked penne (just boil and drain it)
-1 1/2 c. soymilk
-1/2 c. water
-1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce or tamari
-1 1/2 c. nutritional yeast
-1 tbsp. paprika
-1 tbsp. garlic powder
-1 tbsp. onion powder
-1/4 tsp. turmeric
-2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
-2 tsp. cornstarch
-2/3 c. earth balance margarine
-2 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
-2/3 c. panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine all ingredients except pasta and breadcrumbs in blender. Process until smooth. At this point taste the sauce. If you want to adjust the seasonings/spices now would be the time to do it.
3. Place cooked penne in large casserole dish. Pour sauce over top and mix so that sauce is evenly distributed. Sprinkle top with panko bread crumbs. I like to top my bread crumbs with a bit of paprika and pepper, but do whatever you like.
4. Place casserole dish in oven. Bake 15 minutes. You may broil the casserole for an additional few minutes to brown the top, if desired.
5. Let stand 5-10 min. before serving.
This makes a LOT. I like to freeze the leftovers to take for lunches.
Ingredients:-4 cups cooked penne (just boil and drain it)
-1 1/2 c. soymilk
-1/2 c. water
-1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce or tamari
-1 1/2 c. nutritional yeast
-1 tbsp. paprika
-1 tbsp. garlic powder
-1 tbsp. onion powder
-1/4 tsp. turmeric
-2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
-2 tsp. cornstarch
-2/3 c. earth balance margarine
-2 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
-2/3 c. panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine all ingredients except pasta and breadcrumbs in blender. Process until smooth. At this point taste the sauce. If you want to adjust the seasonings/spices now would be the time to do it.
3. Place cooked penne in large casserole dish. Pour sauce over top and mix so that sauce is evenly distributed. Sprinkle top with panko bread crumbs. I like to top my bread crumbs with a bit of paprika and pepper, but do whatever you like.
4. Place casserole dish in oven. Bake 15 minutes. You may broil the casserole for an additional few minutes to brown the top, if desired.
5. Let stand 5-10 min. before serving.
This makes a LOT. I like to freeze the leftovers to take for lunches.

4 comments:
i still haven't made vegan M&C. The panko crumbs sound like a great ingredient for it!
That looks so good! And I love panko!
Looks delicious!
I must try this! I have a current favorite, but could never rule out a new one to take its place in my heart. :o)
Post a Comment