Vegan MoFo: Chicken Parmesan...without the chicken or the parmesan

Recently I checked out Nonna's Italian Kitchen from the public library. This book is so overwhelming...there are so many recipes and variations on said recipes crammed into this little book. Everytime I flip through it I swear I find something new. Anyhoo, for some reason or another I was really curious about the various types of cutlets in the book. I settled on trying the chicken cutlets first. So basically you make the seitan dough, divide into cutlets, and then bake in a broth. I probably should have taken a picture of the finished cutlets, but I didn't. Oops.

So then I was faced with the decision of what to do with these wonderful cutlets. I was flipping through the book and saw a variation on a recipe for a veal parmesan. Which led me to think of chicken parmesan. I didn't follow Bryanna's recipe at all for the parmesan part, but it still turned out great. I dredged each cutlet in flour, then briefly fried them in a wee bit of oil. I made a sauce from a can of tomato sauce, garlic, onion, herbs, and red wine. Then I whipped up a batch of melty pizza cheese. To assemble, I put some sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish, put the chicken in, topped with the rest of the sauce, and then poured the cheese over top. I threw it in the oven for about 25 minutes at 350 F, then broiled the top for a bit.

Here it is right out of the oven...look at that awesome "cheese" sauce:

I had leftover basmati rice, so that's what I served it over. It's not the prettiest picture in the world, but trust me, it was delicious:


Next time I make this (and yes, there will be a next time) I'll try and be more exact and actually write out a proper recipe.

4 comments:

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

wowza! That looks really good!!

Anonymous said...

I have to make this! My omni husband would love it.

Erin said...

That looks ridiculously good! Great job.

wingraclaire said...

That looks really delicious, and thanks for the link to the cheeze recipe!

wingraclaire.livejournal.com