Seitan Baguette & Potato and Greens soup

Tonight for dinner I was all by lonesome, as the bf is out of town all weekend. I made the Vietnamese seitan baguette with savory broth dip and the baked potato and greens soup from Veganomicon.

First things first, the sandwich. This was my first time baking seitan, and I can't say I was a fan of the texture. It was okay, but I prefer boiled. I have 5 cutlets leftover though so they're going in the freezer and I'll find some use for them.

The sandwich itself was pretty good. I usually don't go to that much work for a sandwich. I'm not sure why, I never have. I guess I see sandwiches as more of a convenience type meal than a "spend 30 min. in the kitchen prepping" kind of meal. But I did enjoy the fancy sandwich and perhaps this will motivate me in the future to try out more sandwich recipes.


Now on to the soup. I'm hesitant to write this, as it seems a lot of people love this soup, but honestly I wasn't a fan. I didn't care for the seasonings and the greens seemed out of place to me. In fact, I don't even know what to do with the leftovers because I don't think I'd eat them. Oh well, live and learn. Almost everything else from that cookbook I've loved, so I was bound to hit a recipe I didn't care for eventually.


1 comments:

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

yeah, for some reason the potato soup just doesn't call my name. the seitan baguette looks awesome, though! I can't believe I haven't made this one yet!