I am no longer a kale virgin

On Tuesday I went to the local food co-op as that was the day they were getting their weekly shipment of organic produce. Something happened to their shipment of kale and a lot of it was yellowed so they were giving it away for free. I figured the vegan gods were telling me I had to take home some free kale to try (using the parts that were still good of course). I have heard nothing but good things re: garlicky kale with tahini dressing from Vegan with a Vengeance and so I tried it. Yum! I wasn't sure about the dressing on its own, but paired with the kale it's excellent! Even the bf wolfed down his, although he'd only eat a little tiny bit. Still, for him that's pretty good when it comes to vegetables.

I also thought i would try out the herb scalloped potatoes from Veganomicon. The bf is always on about how he loves scalloped potatoes. He said they were good, but nothing like his mom's scalloped potatoes. Insert eye rolling here. Well, I adored them and wished I had made a triple batch. So there.

Finally, another Veganomicon recipe, Italian marinated tofu. It was pretty good. I think next time I would add a bit more balsamic vinaigrette, but that's just me. I broiled the heck out of it and the outside was nice and crisp and the inside was nice and soft and moist. Perfect.

3 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

Even though I'm not a kale virgin, um-m I've only had it once; OK, maybe twice. :) Did you cook it or eat it like a salad?

Carrie said...

It was just lightly sauteed in a bit of olive oil and garlic. Garlic makes everything good. :)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

hee, I love your giant chunks of fu! And kale is REALLY awesome as a raw salad with the maple-mustard dressing from veganomicon, it made me a believer.