Spicy Goodness: Tofu, Millet, and Beans

Tonight for dinner I made the chili cornmeal crusted tofu, Mexican millet, and black beans in adobo sauce from Veganomicon. Yes, I've been on a Veganomicon kick lately. First up, the tofu. I tried to be healthy so I baked this instead of frying it....it probably would have been a lot better fried.. as it was, I found it a tad dry and a bit bland. But I just spooned some extra adobo sauce over it...no one can accuse it of being bland then. And no, I didn't cut it into fancy triangles like the recipe says. I'm lazy like that.

The black beans in adobo sauce were amazing! i had some leftover pinto beans in the fridge so I tossed those in as well. At first I was wondering why the adobo sauce recipe didn't make very much...but then I licked the spoon and figured out why...it's insanely spicy and you only need a little bit....a glass of soymilk later and I was okay.

And finally the Mexican millet. This was my first time cooking millet and I'm officially in love with it! Everything about this dish was perfect....even the bf liked it (getting him to eat healthy grains is always a challenge). This is definitely something I'd make again and again.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Lobs you make me want to visit the health food store (feeling guilty about the Burger King tonight)!

jd said...

Yay! I love millet & have been wanting to try that V-Con recipe.

Now I'm definitely gonna have to make it. (And the black beans in adobo sauce, too!)

Great post!