Last night the bf and I spent hours making different Japanese food. In the city where I used to live it was no problem to find a delicious Japanese restaurant...where I live now? Good luck with that. I'm always disappointed in them. So there I was with my pristine new sushi mat attempting to change that.
First things first, I would like to apologize for the bad photos. The bf was frying the agedashi tofu by the spot where I take my food pics and I couldn't get near. So these aren't the best quality.
My first sushi-rolling experience: spicy tempeh nori from Veganomicon. I think this is my favourite sushi I have ever had. The chili oil, the Vegganaise, it was all just too delicious together. It freaked the bf out and he wouldn't eat it (he's a sushi whimp) but I adored it.
First things first, I would like to apologize for the bad photos. The bf was frying the agedashi tofu by the spot where I take my food pics and I couldn't get near. So these aren't the best quality.
My first sushi-rolling experience: spicy tempeh nori from Veganomicon. I think this is my favourite sushi I have ever had. The chili oil, the Vegganaise, it was all just too delicious together. It freaked the bf out and he wouldn't eat it (he's a sushi whimp) but I adored it.
I also made a spinach roll and a shiitake mushroom roll. The bf only tried the shiitake mushroom roll and he said he liked it. Which is funny because that's my least favourite and I really don't care for shiitakes. The spinach roll was okay, not as good as some others I've had but for a first try I think it sufficed.
We also made zaru soba. I was worried the bf would be put off by the cold noodles, but he really seemed to like this. I've actually never had soba warm..I don't even know what that would taste like...but anyhoo, cold soba = delicious.
Not pictured is the agedashi tofu. For some reason the bf adores agedashi tofu and always insists on it whenever we eat at a Japanese place. Which is bizarre because normally there's no way he would eat tofu. My sauce wasn't quite right because I had to improvise on some of the ingredients, but it was still really, really good (and easy to make too).

3 comments:
Lobs the soba noodles look amazing. I've never had sushi (maybe I'm a sushi wimp like your BF!), but your pictures & your enthusiasm make me think I might open up my world a little!
We wimped out on our asian meal & used take-out sushi. Your's looks delish! How hard was it to roll the sushi...that's on our to-do list sometime.
Oh "Sushi" "Zaru Soba"! I am interested in the food culture of your country so that you are so. And I support your site. If there is time, please come in my site. From Japan
http://food-soybean.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment