vegan mofo: black bean burgers

Last night I made another recipe from The Vegan Table - black bean burgers. I really liked the flavouring in these (although I did make them spicier by adding extra jalapeno and chili powder). Rather than fry them, I chose to bake mine, and truth be told that did make them a bit dry. Although I really liked the taste, they are a bit fragile. It seems like I just cannot find a DIY bean burger recipe that has the same "meaty" consistency as the store-bought ones. Anyone have a "meaty" recipe they care to share?

Anyway, I served these without buns, with some romaine and tomato. It was pretty tasty.



3 comments:

kmouse said...

Mmm, love to make my own burgers. I have a tofu and bean burger recipe that I find quite meaty and hold together well after it's baked.
http://theveganmouse.blogspot.com/2008/12/smoky-tofu-and-red-bean-burgers.html

chow vegan said...

I saw that recipe and was wondering about them. I haven't tried making a black bean burger at home yet. I've only eaten it at a restaurant and it was pretty good so I would like to make it sometime.

Wendy said...

I make black bean burgers by mashing a drained can of black beans, adding about a quarter cup of salsa, about a quarter cup of flour, and cumin to taste. Sometimes I throw in chopped cilantro or parsley if I have it. Fry, then enjoy. Not meat-like, but substantial and hold together pretty well.