I had quite a bit of leftovers in the fridge that seemed to scream "make Mexican food!" So that is what I did. I made a baked chimichanga a la Vegan Dad. However, this recipe is quite adaptable and you could probably make it with whatever ingredients you wished.
Here is what I did - basing my recipe on the one posted above:filling:
- 1/4 c onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeƱo, diced
- 1/2 c veggie ground round
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp leftover nutritional yeast cheeze sauce (i just had this in my fridge and wanted to use it up)
- 1/2 c refried beans
- 1/4 c salsa
Preheat oven to 450 F. Lightly spray a nonstick cooking pan and saute the onion until soft. Add jalapeno, ground round, and spices. Add some water if mixture begins to stick. Continue cooking over medium heat until mixture is heated through.
Spread the refried beans in the middle of a large (12″) tortilla. add “beef” mixture, then top with salsa. Fold the tortilla and brush lightly with olive oil. Place on a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake 20-25 min.
I topped mine with leftover faux sour cream from La Dolce Vegan (which I really don’t care for…wouldn’t use that exact recipe again) and some leftover black olive and green onion. I also had additional salsa on the side because I’m a salsa fiend. Next time I think I will add some more veggies to the filling such as corn and red pepper.

4 comments:
Looks good Carrie! Oh how I wished we could all live close by and eat at each other's homes! LOL
This looks really good! I'm gonna have to make chimichangas soon now. ;)
ha, my leftovers scream that too sometimes. that chimi-thingy looks incredible!
That chimichanga looks scrumptious!
I've only tried making them once, & they turned out pretty terribly... Maybe they'll turn out better, now that I can reference your recipe :)
Thanks!
Post a Comment