Vegan Mac & "Cheese"

Last night for dinner I made vegan macaroni & cheese. While I probably wouldn't call it macaroni and cheese per se, it was very very good. If you don't expect it to taste like mac & cheese that is. The sauce really tastes like soy sauce and nutritional yeast, so if you like those two things then you should love this.

Based on reviews of the recipe I changed things up a bit. I cut waaay back on the salt as a few people complained about the saltiness. I also added a wee bit less soy sauce and omitted the water called for in the recipe. It would have been waaay too runny if I had added that. Finally, to top it off, I sprinkled the top with homemade breadcrumbs. I really think this helped the dish a LOT. Without the crunchy texture to balance things I think this would have been just a bowl of nutritional yeast and soy sauce on pasta, which probably wouldn't be all that appetizing.

I served this with chickpea cutlets, which I love, but the bf certainly did not like. He hated the texture and couldn't finish his. Meh, more for me. He did however have two helpings of the macaroni. He said it was really different and he couldn't tell if he liked it or not, but at the end of it all I asked if he would eat it again and he said yes, but only as a side dish. Fair enough.

1 comments:

Shelby said...

Nutritional yeast is kinda cheesy :)
Grumpy and I like it on our popcorn (he calls it flux - no idea why though!) I have some recipes for some cheese sauces made from nutritional yeast! Your dish looks good to me!