Tofu Scramble Tostada Creation

I had some leftover tofu in my fridge along with various vegetables that had to be used up. So of course I immediately thought of a tofu scramble. I also wanted something smothered in cheesy sauce. I thought of a breakfast burrito type deal, but then I had a moment of creativity and went for a breakfast tostada instead.


Tofu Scramble Tostada
  • 1/2 lb. extra-firm tofu, pressed
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (more to taste)
  • miscellaneous veggies you want to throw in (e.g., bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, etc.)
  • 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • a batch of your favourite nutritonal yeast cheezy sauce
  • 2 tortillas (I used spelt tortillas)
1. Preheat the broiler.

2. Saute onion in water (or veggie broth) for 5 min. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Saute another 3-5 min. Throw in any other veggies you might be using. Depending on the veggies you use, you will have to saute for a bit longer.

3. Crumble in tofu. Add nutritional yeast. Sprinkle in additional water so mixture does not stick. Continue to stir tofu for approximately 10-15 minutes, until it starts to brown. Add water as needed to prevent sticking.

4. Meanwhile, make your cheezy sauce.

4. When done, transfer mixture on top of tortillas. Top with cheezy sauce. Broil for ~5 minutes.

Makes 2 tostadas.


2 comments:

Shelby said...

I would love to eat one of your tofu creations. I would love your indian food also!!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Oh my goodness. I hardly ever make cheesy sauce. I think this has to change!