I come from a reuben-loving family. After I went vegetarian, my Mom would make mine with just sauerkraut and cheese. That suited me fine. I carried on this way for 10 years. When I became vegan I didn't know what to do anymore. So I resigned myself to a life without reubens, because at that time I thought the cheese was the best part.
I finally gave the tempeh reuben recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance a shot. And let me tell you, I didn't even miss the cheese. It was amazing. The marinade for the tempeh is so great, I could have eaten it with a spoon. The tempeh was creamy and melted in my mouth and I had vegan thousand island dressing oozing out of the sandwich everywhere. Yes, it's a messy sandwich to eat. But, in my opinion, reubens are supposed to be that way.
I finally gave the tempeh reuben recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance a shot. And let me tell you, I didn't even miss the cheese. It was amazing. The marinade for the tempeh is so great, I could have eaten it with a spoon. The tempeh was creamy and melted in my mouth and I had vegan thousand island dressing oozing out of the sandwich everywhere. Yes, it's a messy sandwich to eat. But, in my opinion, reubens are supposed to be that way.

7 comments:
I could totally eat that and probably would choose to eat it over a real one anytime!
I love those sloppy things!
I've never had a reuben but that looks soooo good!
what a great review! You really make me want to try this recipe, and the sandwich looks delicious.
Wow. What a great looking sandwich.
Yum! You've convinced me that I need to try that recipe now.
I've never had a real reuben, but that single recipe has just *haunted* the back of my mind, and now that picture is not helping at all in it's gooey deliciousness!!! :O yeah, I'm making this someday.
Post a Comment