BLT Brunch Casserole

La Dolce Vegan was one of the first vegan cookbooks I ever bought (at the same time as Vegan with a Vengeance) and I'm sad to say it's probably the cookbook I have used the least. I'm not sure why that is...a lot of the recipes just don't seem to appeal to me. Maybe it's the lack of pictures, I'm not sure. But in an effort to use this cookbook more I made Wolffie's BLT Brunch Casserole, one recipe that I had earmarked since the first day I looked at the book.

In order to make this casserole healthier I omitted the fat from both the tofu portion as well as the cheese sauce. I probably could have omitted the Vegannaise as well, as I don't think it made that much of a difference in the taste. But I adore Vegannaise and look for any excuse to eat it. The recipe calls for medium-firm tofu, but all I had on hand was extra firm, so perhaps that's why it didn't stay together very well and looks like a disaster on my plate. But who cares, it tasted amazing!

4 comments:

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

I checked this book out from the library and the recipes didn't really grab me either. But this one sounds right up my alley! I love savory breakfast food.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

oooh. ahhh. i cant really come up with anything else.... ooooh aaah

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I have this book too and I'm the same a lot doesn't strike me. Although there is a cornbread recipe that I LOVE!

This brunch casserole looks good though, maybe I need to dig out the book again!

Anonymous said...

ahh this looks amazing!!! that is such a creative recipe.