Spicy Seitan O'Greatness

I finally got around to making the seitan o'greatness today. I don't care much for the texture of boiled seitan, or at least not when I make it, so I thought I would try baked seitan. It's really easy to do, you just mix the ingredients together, knead for a couple of minutes, wrap it in foil, pop it in the oven, come back in 90 minutes. I have a mexican recipe in mind for my seitan, so I changed the seasonings around.


Spicy Seitan O'Greatness (Adapted from Lachesis)

Dry ingredients:
  • 1.5 c. vital wheat gluten
  • 0.25 c. nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 0.25 tsp. cayenne
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 0.25 tsp. red pepper flakes
Wet ingredients:
  • 0.75 c. water
  • 4 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp. tamari
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. vegan worcestershire
  • 1 tbsp. liquid smoke (I adore liquid smoke...others may want to cut back)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and stir until incorporated. Knead for 2-3 minutes. Shape into log, about 6"-8" long. Wrap log tightly in foil, twisting the ends. Bake for 90 minutes.



For lunch I made a wrap with vegannaise, lettuce, sriracha chili sauce, and mustard...mmmm....so good. Is it just me, or is sriracha addictive? I could, and do, eat it on everything.

Nosy kitty watching me take pictures of my wrap...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never baked seitan, either, what a great idea! I can try this this week, thanks!- edlear

Anonymous said...

Now I just love "nosy kitty" seeing as how I have 3 myself! Good looking food, Lobs!

Erin said...

I love baked or steamed seitan! Looks great.