east indian feast...

The other night we decided to have East Indian food. I used to cook it quite a bit, but for some reason I haven't in a few months. *shrug* Anyhoo, I wanted to try out red lentil cauliflower curry from Veganomicon. I used frozen cauliflower, as I remembered I had some stowed away in my freezer that I completely forgot about. As always when cooking this type of food, I tinkered around with the spices a bit until it suited my fancy. I don't keep track of what I add, I just add some stuff, taste it, and then continue with that until it tastes "right." The bf really liked this dish too, which actually surprised me. What with the parsnip and the cauliflower and all...I guess the curry just hides the veggie goodness from unsuspecting veggie haters.

I also made a bean curry with a mix of pinto and kidney beans. I guess pinto beans really don't fit into the theme of the meal, but oh well. I used half a jar (yes, half a jar) of curry paste that a local company makes. We usually go visit them at the farmer's market, all of their stuff I've had so far is magnificent and I can't rave about them enough. I don't know if you can their stuff elsewhere though - Chatty's Indian Spices.

To go with the curries i also made some naan. Unfortunately we were out of basmati rice and I forgot until the last minute, so I had to make just plain old long-grain white rice. Not nearly as good. Note to self: next time make sure you have basmati rice.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Lobs, LOL about your veggie-hating BF liking the food. Everything looks very enticing, especially the naan. It amazes me what a feast you can make out of things you find in your fridge or freezer.

Shelby said...

Lobs, I want your naan now! Yummy!

Erin said...

Looks like a really tasty meal! And thanks for the link to the naan recipe, I want to try making my own sometime. No caraway seed for me though.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

that naan looks sooo pillowy soft and perfect, I've never tried making it but now I *really* want to.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I've made naan before & loved it. everyone told me that it was kinda hard but I didn't find it to be so...did you?