Lower Fat Brownies

Yes, yes, I've been a bad blogger lately. Sorry for the lack of updates. It's not like I've been that busy...just lazy I suppose. And I haven't even cooked anything of any interest lately.


That being said, I did attempt to make some healthy-ish brownies the other day. Are they 100% health food. No. Are they gooey fattening brownies? No. They are somewhere in between. I used this recipe and modified it to make it healthier. I was intrigued as the recipe called for boiling some flour and water together before adding it to the batter. I'm not sure what this does to the resulting brownies...but they taste good and that's what matters to me.


Health(ier) Brownies
-1 c. all-purpose flour
-1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
-1 c. water
-1 c. brown sugar
-3/4 c. white sugar
-1 tsp. salt
-1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
-3/4 c. cocoa
-1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 c. vegan chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Boil water and 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour over low heat. Stir constantly, until it resembles a thin gluey paste. Remove from heat and let cool completely.

2. Mix together the brown and white sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa and applesauce. Add the flour-water mixture. Mix well.

3. Add the remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and the chocolate chips, if using.

4. Spread mixture into a greased 11 x 7 pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


There you have it. You could also add nuts if you desired, but of course I didn't due to the bf's allergies. Are they as good as a gooey fattening brownie? Of course not. But they are still pretty darn good. What I like the most about them is that they are the perfect combination of cakey brownies and fudgey brownies, whereas most recipes are one or the other. Perfect brownie harmony. Yum.

2 comments:

Linda said...

YUM!!

Erin said...

Oh the insides look great! I'm adding this to my list of brownie recipes to try, as I haven't found a good one yet.