Today was quite cold and miserable. I also had quite a busy day at work. So I wanted something warm and comforting, but something that could be prepared quickly with what I already had in my fridge. Enter peporonata! It's the dish I usually get at a local Italian restaurant...their pasta has egg so it's just about the only thing that is vegan friendly. I based my recipe on this one from VegWeb, but tweaked it to my liking.
Peporonata over Quinoa
-1 c. quinoa
-1 1/2 c. water
-1/2 veggie bouillon cube
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1 large eggplant, cut into cubes
-3 bell peppers, diced (use whatever colour you like..all I had was red)
-1 can diced tomatoes
-large handful fresh basil leaves, minced
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine couscous, water, and veggie cube in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, lower heat, and simmer approx. 20 min.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 5 min. Add pepper and saute additional 5 minutes. Add eggplant and saute another 5-10 minutes.
3. Add diced tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper. Let this mixture simmer.
4. When your quinoa is done, fluff with a fork, remove from heat, and let sit 5 or so minutes with lid on.
5. By now your peporonata should be done. Serve over quinoa.
Serves 4.
Peporonata over Quinoa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Looks seriously good Carrie. I have not yet tried quinoa (embarrassing to admit at my age.) It looks like it would taste a little like rice--does it?
Pretty close-you could definitely replace it for rice as a side dish.
Post a Comment