We had a few jalapenos in the fridge that I wanted to use up, so I decided what a perfect time to try cheeze jalapeno cauliflower soup from the PPK. Based on the reviews, and my own love for thick, creamy soups, I did change the recipe a bit. Excuse the bad picture, but we all know I am inept at taking soup pictures.
Cheezy Jalapeno Cauliflower Bisque (Adapted from PPK)-1 head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 large onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-3 jalapenos, seeded and minced (keep some of the seeds if you want it spicier)
-1 1/2 tsp. salt
-2 tsp. paprika
-1/8 tsp. turmeric
-1 tsp. cumin
-4 c. water + 1 veggie bouillon cube
-2 c. water
-2 tbsp. arrowroot (or cornstarch)
-1 c. nutritional yeast
-1/2 c. frozen corn kernels
-1/4 c. salsa
-1/2 tsp. lemon juice
-2 tsp. dijon mustard
1. In pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender (about 5 min.). Add garlic, jalapeno, salt, paprika, turmeric, and cumin. Saute for additional 2-3 min. Add 4 c. water and the bouillon cube. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
2. Mix arrowroot and 2 c. water together in a separate bowl/measuring cup/whatever. Stir until dissolved. Add this to the soup. Also add the nutritional yeast. Stir until dissolved. Lower to a simmer. Once simmering, add the cauliflower and corn kernels. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is quite tender. Towards the end, add the salsa.
3. In batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend for a few seconds. You don't want it to be completely pureed, I like to still have some chunks of veggies in there. Alternatively, just use an immersion blender in the soup pot. Once it is blended, transfer back to the soup pot and heat the soup back to temperature. Taste to see if the salt/pepper/spice suits you. If not, tinker around with it. When done, serve.
Serves 4.
I think this soup would also work quite well with potatoes instead of cauliflower. That would definitely make it more filling. I ate just this soup for dinner (along with bread) and found I was hungry again in a little while. It's definitely a soup to be eaten along with something else.
2. Mix arrowroot and 2 c. water together in a separate bowl/measuring cup/whatever. Stir until dissolved. Add this to the soup. Also add the nutritional yeast. Stir until dissolved. Lower to a simmer. Once simmering, add the cauliflower and corn kernels. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is quite tender. Towards the end, add the salsa.
3. In batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend for a few seconds. You don't want it to be completely pureed, I like to still have some chunks of veggies in there. Alternatively, just use an immersion blender in the soup pot. Once it is blended, transfer back to the soup pot and heat the soup back to temperature. Taste to see if the salt/pepper/spice suits you. If not, tinker around with it. When done, serve.
Serves 4.
I think this soup would also work quite well with potatoes instead of cauliflower. That would definitely make it more filling. I ate just this soup for dinner (along with bread) and found I was hungry again in a little while. It's definitely a soup to be eaten along with something else.

4 comments:
This looks great! I'll have to give it a try. I haven't tried a "cheezy" vegan soup yet.
How many jalapenos did you use? They aren't listed with the rest of the ingredients. :)
This sounds really good Carrie! Would probably be easy for me to eat since I'm dying with toothache when I chew. Dentist trip is in my picture for next week. :(
Sarra - oops! I forgot the most important ingredient! I used 3. :)
Post a Comment