I have returned...

I am back from Boston and bring you stories of delicious vegan food...unfortunately no pictures. Boo. So bare with my text-heavy post.


First up - Veggie Planet in Cambridge. We took the subway here to go see Harvard and I stopped here for lunch. This place has both vegetarian and vegan food, so a lot of the menu items did have cheese. But I still had tons to choose from. I went with the "vegan oddlot" - which was a pizza with tofu ricotta, spinach, tomatoes, olives, and garlic. It was decent...I do like my tofu ricotta recipe better (from Vegan with a Vengeance) but it was still really, really good. Pretty cheap too. It was a cool little place...if I was a student around there I don't think I would ever leave.


That night we made reservations at Grezzo Restaurant in the North End of Boston. This is a pretty swanky place, and all of the food is also raw. The bf did have some problems finding nut-free food, but they changed a few dishes so that he could eat them. I had the chef's sampler which was pretty pricey, but SO worth it. You get two soups, two appetizers, a salad, an entree, and a dessert. I was basically eating for 2 hours straight. I had a cream of fennel soup, a summer melon stew, vegan sliders (SOOO good), gnocchi carbonara, a house salad (with the most delicious croutons I have ever had), zucchini canneloni, and brownie sundae. Yes I ate it all.


Our last night in Boston the bf was quite ill (bad luck..) so I took the subway to Allston so that I could try out TJ Scallywaggle's Vegan House of Pizza & Subs. This is a neat little place. Unfortunately it was quite hot that day and they do not have A/C..but oh well. I don't have it at home and I survive just fine. Anyhoo, I had the "meatza pizza"...with fake pepperoni, ground meat, sausage and chicken. It was pretty good. Their cheese melts quite well...I asked what brand it was but I forgot about 2 minutes after he told me. It was a brand that was only available at something like 3 retail locations in Chicago or some such thing. I took the bf back a chicken parmesan sub as I figured he needed something for dinner. He could only eat half of it so I had the other half. Yes, I pigged out on vegan food while in Boston. Anyhoo, the breaded chicken they use is AMAZING. I think I might email them and find out the brand. Even the omni bf was quite impressed.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Carrie, your feasts sound so delicious! I'm really intrigued by the raw menus. I see Musings from a Fishbowl does a Raw Tuesday and I'm really considering doing that myself!

Linda said...

Lobs, good to see you back on the blog. The menus really look amazing. I'm surprised your little self could hold all that food.

It seems funny to read "chicken" on a vegan menu, but I guess they get tired of writing "faux".