Saturday morning we were wandering around the farmer's market. One of my favourite vendors always has such neat hot peppers. Usually I just buy some jalapenos and chipotles, but the bf thought that the pablano peppers looked so neat he wanted to get one. I asked what on earth we would do with it, and he said make chili. Brilliant idea. I make chili a LOT during the winter (it's cheap, you can make a giant batch and freeze it...) but it never crosses my mind in the summer. It was a bit of a cooler day so we set out to make awesome chili.
The result? A 5-hour simmered chili with ground seitan (Vegan Vittles, tweaked to make it spicier), onion, jalapenos, pablanos, Hungarian wax peppers, cayenne chili pepper, black beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas. Oh yes, and lots of spices. I would love nothing more than to share the recipe with you, but it literally was the result of both of us playing around and tweaking it for 5 hours. However, if you do make your own chili, I highly, highly recommend this cornbread recipe to go with it. Hands down, the best cornbread I have ever made, vegan or non-vegan.
I don't often post lunches here. My lunches are usually leftovers. Not that exciting. But Sunday I actually felt like putting effort into lunch. I've heard nothing but good things about tamari-roasted chickpeas from Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan. So I made those. Lo and behold I also had a bunch of kale in the fridge that needed to be used up. I did what I normally do with kale, saute it with some olive oil and garlic and then toss with lemon juice. Plop the chickpeas on top and there you go, a delicious lunch.

The result? A 5-hour simmered chili with ground seitan (Vegan Vittles, tweaked to make it spicier), onion, jalapenos, pablanos, Hungarian wax peppers, cayenne chili pepper, black beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas. Oh yes, and lots of spices. I would love nothing more than to share the recipe with you, but it literally was the result of both of us playing around and tweaking it for 5 hours. However, if you do make your own chili, I highly, highly recommend this cornbread recipe to go with it. Hands down, the best cornbread I have ever made, vegan or non-vegan.
I don't often post lunches here. My lunches are usually leftovers. Not that exciting. But Sunday I actually felt like putting effort into lunch. I've heard nothing but good things about tamari-roasted chickpeas from Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan. So I made those. Lo and behold I also had a bunch of kale in the fridge that needed to be used up. I did what I normally do with kale, saute it with some olive oil and garlic and then toss with lemon juice. Plop the chickpeas on top and there you go, a delicious lunch.

5 comments:
Looks delicious!
Mmm! Both of those pics look great!
I LOVE chili - especially in the summer! (Yea, I'm weird!) And I bet your 5-hour version was fantastic :)
I'll definitely have to give that ED&BV recipe a try, too...
Lobs, how do you get the recipes from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan? I visited the website & couldn't figure out the access to them--I would love to try the tamari-roasted chickpeas.
It's in the actual cookbook Eat Drink & Be Vegan, not sure if it's floating around online or not.
Your chili sounds sooooooo good! I never think to make chili even though I love it.
Post a Comment