Yes, more squash

It’s been awhile since I’ve updated. First I was away visiting the future in-laws (which went quite well…we just sat around and ate most of the time) and then this week I’ve been so busy I haven’t had much of a chance to cook anything. Well, fear not, for I am back with yet another squash post. Only this time it’s acorn squash instead of butternut…so I suppose that’s a bit of a change, no?

Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash (Adapted from Allrecipes.com)
  • 1/2 tbsp earth balance (or margarine i suppose if you don't mind it not being vegan), melted
  • 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 3/4 tbsp cumin
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 7 oz vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Arrange squash halves cut side down on baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes or until tender. Brush squash with melted butter spread and keep warm while preparing the stuffing.
3. Spray nonstick skillet lightly with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Stir in garlic for a couple of minutes and then mix in chickpeas and raisins. Add cumin, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook and stir.
4. Pour vegetable broth into skillet and mix in couscous. Cover with a lid and turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes so that couscous will absorb the liquid. Stuff the squash halves with the couscous mixture.

My bf's exact words: "It's health food...but as far as health food goes it's pretty good."

I find this makes way more stuffing then could ever fit into two acorn squash halves, but the leftover stuffing makes a good lunch the next day.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds good. Chickpeas and couscous are such a great combo, and to add squash? Perfection. :) Great blog.

Shelby said...

Carrie you make me want to eat squash on a regular basis! I made the roasted butternut squash and it was yummy!