World's Most Complicated Hot Dog

Before I went vegan, one of my most beloved vegetarian "junk" foods were soy hotdogs with Cheez Whiz and hot pickled peppers. Yum. While I've had hotdogs since being vegan, certainly none of them were as good as I remembered my pregan hotdogs as being. Fast forward over a year. I suppose I just forgot about these Cheez Whiz monstrosities (I mean really, that stuff is just chemicals, yuck!). All of a sudden I started having intense cravings. I knew I had to come up with a vegan version.

I didn't want to go to the store so I ended up making my own "hot dogs" using Julie Hasson's sausage recipe. I didn't have any buns, so I made my own using this recipe. This time I made them 100% whole wheat and they turned out really heavy and dense. So I don't think I'd do that with that recipe again. But I'm sure I will eventually find a 100% bun recipe that I can live with. Anyway, on to the Cheez Whiz replacement - "Gee Whiz" from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. I had this recipe on my "to make" list for months and months but had never gotten around to it. Here was the perfect occassion. While it tastes nothing like Cheez Whiz, it is really, really tasty (tastes more nutty then cheezy, but that's fine with me).

So now on to the long awaited hot dog. Get a freshly baked bun with a homemade sausage, slather the bun with gee whiz, ketchup, hot mustard and relish, top with sauerkraut and LOTS of hot pickled peppers: the perfect hot dog. As you can imagine, this hot dog was several hours in the making. But totally worth it.


The next morning I made myself a tofu scramble loaded with veggies and mixed in a little gee whiz....mmmm!

And here is a picture of my kitty licking his chops watching me take a picture of my tofu scramble.



12 comments:

Mihl said...

To be honest, I never had a non-vegan hot-dog. And seriously, yours looks so much better that those meaty or cheesy ones!

Katy said...

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2007/05/23/beranbaums-best-buns/

I've been eyeing that recipe for burger buns; maybe it's something appeals to you as well.

Lady, you went to a lot of work for a hot dog! I'm not keen on them to begin with, not sure I could go to all that WORK that you went through, LOL. You totally rock!

And don't I just LOVE your kitty.

Anonymous said...

Lobs, great idea, I'm sending it to my grandniece... What would you change about the buns? They looked great, but... Kathye

Shelby said...

Love the vegan hotdog! I also want to know how you got your kitty to sit still for that photo! lol

aTxVegn said...

That cheezy dog looks really tasty!

Linda said...

I learn so much from you--I've never heard the word "pregan" :)

Glad you got to enjoy your dog!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I was just thinking the other day how whenever I made "fast food" it is ridiculously more complicated then making a fine meal. We vegans are a silly bunch. Now I really want to make the Gee Whiz....

Lisa said...

that sounds great! Now I'm ready for "second lunch".

Erin said...

For your next challenge, I'd like you to recreate the hot dogs with the cheese INSIDE that I used to eat as a kid. How did we eat these things?!? Your new rendition looks pretty darn tasty though.

Anonymous said...

your cat, holy crap...your cat.
I love that Gee Whiz thing, thanks for reminding me of it! too many great recipes, too little time, right?

Anonymous said...

Oooh my gosh, that looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Pickled Peppers are my absolute fave. Thanks for the dog-spir-ation!