Food Network Friday: Musard Marinated "Pork Chops" with Caramelized Red Onions

It's been a couple of weeks but today I found myself with time to participate in Tami's Food Network Friday. This week I chose a Dave Lieberman recipe - mustard marinated pork chops with caramelized red onions. I love mustard and I love onions...so I figured this recipe would be right up my alley.

Last time I participated in Food Network Friday I made Guy Fieri's Cuban pork chops using Bryanna Clark Grogan's recipe for pork cutlets. I had some extra cutlets in my freezer and decided to use them up. These were just okay. I had no complaints about eating them, but I probably wouldn't make them again. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the "pork" flavoured broth that these cutlets were originally cooked in. I liked the marinade and would probably use that again on tofu, I think it would be yummy. Excuse the crummy photo.


Mustard Marinated "Pork Chops" with Caramelized Red Onions: (Adapted from Dave Lieberman)
  • 2 of Bryanna Clark Grogan's pork cutlets (I used recipe in Nonna's Italian Kitchen, the recipe has been posted online here)
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
For the onions:
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 large red onion, sliced
  • 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. agave nectar
  • salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss the cutlets with the olive oil, dijon, salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder. Marinate in the fridge 1 hour up to overnight.

2. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in skillet over medium ehat. Add onion and cook for 5 min. or so. Drizzle with balsamic and agave. Continue to cook until onions are caramelized (this should take 15 min. or so).

3. Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium heat. Add "chops" and brown on each side. To serve: Top chops with onions. I served mine on a bed of baby spinach but do as you will.

7 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

I just said to myself, "Great photo," then I read your "Excuse the crummy photo"! It's definitely not crummy! Love the lighting on it.

Anonymous said...

The marinade sounds very good! And, ah, I beg to disagree here~that is a great photo. Good highlights and color, up close. Well done.

Shelby said...

um, that is NOT a crummy photo. Makes me want to eat it! I need to get me some gluten flour and make my own steaks....its been a long time since I've done that!

Linda said...

I bet the onions were stand-alone good! Excellent photo, Lobs.

Anonymous said...

I'm with LadyJayPee: the pic is great!

Erin said...

This one sounds easy and tasty! I've been putting caramelized onions on everything lately, so good.

Pete said...

the onion looks like a tongue sticking out hehe