A friend at a cooking forum mentioned that she was making Portuguese kale soup. Being a kale lover, I was intrigued and asked for the recipe. The original had sausage (linguica or chorizo), so I made a batch of this vegan style (and fat free!) and it was fabulous.
Portuguese Kale Soup- 1 large white onion, diced
- 5 of Julie Hasson's sausages (I omit the olive oil from mine and they're fine...I also tend to make mine spicier...whatever floats your boat)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 cup potatoes, diced large
- 1/2 lb. kale, chopped roughly
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes (adjust to suit your desired level of spiciness)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, saute onion in water (or veggie broth) for 5 min. Add garlic and sausage and potatoes and continue to saute another 5 min. Add 1/2 gallon water (I don't like my soups very watery, add more if you prefer). Add in kale, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Simmer approximately 2 hours. Add in kidney beans and adjust seasonings. Serve.
I made mine quite spicy. I really liked the hearty rustic feel of this soup. It was so tasty that I even had leftovers for brunch this morning. Yum.
I made mine quite spicy. I really liked the hearty rustic feel of this soup. It was so tasty that I even had leftovers for brunch this morning. Yum.

9 comments:
You know its good when your eating your dinner for breakfast! I did that with the Potato and Asparagus dish!
I won't be doing it "vegan", but sent the link to my greatniece" who will. Yummy pic, Lobs! Kathye
This looks so hearty and tasty! I love kale too.
I cannot believe you made your own sausage. Oh wait, you're Lobs--of course I believe it--you are a creative genius!
It looks fantastic!
Lobs, I was coincidentally looking at my Portuguese kale soup recipe and here you are with yours. Looks good! Make your own sausage. Woman, let me spray your path with roses. You are amazing (but I already knew that!).
This looks so tasty! I am also a big kale fan. I feel like I've been eating greens like a madwoman lately.
This sounds like the perfect kale recipe! Looks wonderful.
That looks really yummy! How cool that you made your own sausage!
That is a fab photo, Lobs.
Post a Comment