Butternut Squash Risotto

Another squash post. I also had a butternut squash to use up and I really wanted to make something from Get it Ripe...lo and behold Jae Steele has a recipe for butternut squash risotto. I omitted the oil from the recipe as well as the Earth Balance to make it low fat.

This was alright. My squash wasn't very flavourful when it was done roasting, which is odd since I adore the flavour of roasted butternut. Must have been a dud squash. I also didn't have the sweet brown rice she suggested and used regular brown rice. It worked okay, but the texture was a bit off. All in all it wasn't bad, but I don't think it was worth the work that went into it. Maybe if I had a better squash and the proper rice.

5 comments:

Linda said...

LOL at "dud squash". Well it looks delicious anyway, Lobs.

Anonymous said...

Lobs, like Linda, I am laughing about the dud squash remark. Your honesty is refreshing. Still, it's a great pix!

Shelby said...

LOVE the pic!

Cookin'mama said...

It does look wonderful from your pic. I think that there is a huge difference in squash. They will keep really well for quite awhile so if the one you used was harvested in October why would it not be a "dud squash"?

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

beautiful pic! I love the idea of squash risotto too