Valentine's Day Dinner

What follows is not healthy. It is full of white flour and olive oil and fat. And sugar (in the case of dessert). But it was good. Oh so good.

We decided to stay in for Valentine's day, since my birthday is right around the corner and we are going out for that. So I made us stuffed shells (based on the recipe from Uncheese, but with a few modifications, more on that below), ceasar salad from Veganomicon, and garlic bread made with a loaf of fancy bread from my favourite artisan bakery that has garlic cloves baked right into the bread. The true way to the hearts of my bf and myself....lots of garlic.


For dessert I made Hot Fudge Sundae Cake from More Great Dairy-Free Desserts, Naturally by Fran Costigan. It tasted delicious, but I was expecting it to be a bit more firm. Yes I realize it's pudding cake. But even as far as pudding cake goes it was runny. But still delicious. The bf had his with vanilla ice cream but I made cashew cream from Get it Ripe. This was also a lot runnier than I had anticipated. And although it tasted okay, I didn't think it added anything to the dessert, so I probably wouldn't make it again. Topped it off with some chocolate covered strawberries and there you have it: a lovely looking romantic dessert.


Stuffed Shells: (based on recipe from Uncheese cookbook)
-Tomato sauce (I used roasted garlic marinara sauce from Veganomicon)
-12 jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to package directions

Filling ingredients:
-1/2 lb. extra firm tofu, crumbled
-2/3 c. Vegannaise
-2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
-3 tsp. garlic powder
-3 tsp. onion powder
-2 tsp. dried parsley
-2 tsp. dried oregnao
-1 tsp. dried basil
-salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix filling ingredients together. Taste the filling and adjust as you wish.
3. Cover bottom of casserole dish with sauce.
4. Fill each shell with a couple of spoonfuls of the filling. Place each shell in dish.
5. Cover shells with remaining sauce. I don't like mine too overly saucy, but each to their own.
6. Bake 30-40 min., until heated through.

9 comments:

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

I love your photos, Carrie. You have the "knack" to make everything you make look fantastic. :)

BTW - Come on over to my blog, cuz I tagged you. :)

Anonymous said...

Your pudding looks so delicious! And how do you ever keep your strawberries looking so plump and firm after dipping them? Mine always look so soggy.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a fantastic V day dinner! Pudding cake? Never heard of it, but must make. It looks romantic indeed.

Lisa said...

When I was vegetarian, I made stuffed shells that included habanero and broccoli in the ricotta filling. You make me want to re-create this vegan style!

Linda said...

Beautiful photos, Lobs!

Anonymous said...

That pudding looks soooo good, can I have some? :-)

Shelby said...

Carrie, how did I miss this post? Shame on me!

I think I am going to try your stuffed shells and see if I can fool Grumpy? What do you think?? That dessert is BEAUTIFUL!

Judy's Nutrition said...

What a lovely meal for V-day - or any day, for that matter! Yum!

Alyson's Wonderland said...

What a beautiful meal! I adore garlic too. If it has garlic in it, give it to me!