millet and mushroom tourtière

Not sure what a tourtière is? It's a meat-pie from Quebec that's typically served on Christmas or New Years. If you feel like learning more here is the Wikipedia page.

I've never had a real meat tourtière, but I hear they're quite tasty, if you're an omnivore who is into that sort of thing. But the idea of a meat pie sounded appetizing and comforting and I often thought of making a vegan one. I just never got around to it...until today.

With my dissertation in full swing now I am finding myself with very little spare time. Which means things like going to the gym get scratched off the to do list pretty quickly. So I ordered a few exercise DVD's from Amazon...and a new cookbook of course. I ordered Get it Ripe by Jae Steele as I had heard so many wonderful things about it. One of the first recipes I flipped to was the millet and mushroom tourtière.

I followed the recipe pretty closely, with the exception that I used Bryanna's low-fat oil pastry for the crust. I served it smothered in gravy. Mmmm....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lobs, this loooks positively delicious! I could eat a slice right now. Anything with gravy has got to be good. Slurp!

Anonymous said...

I agree! Does millet taste like barley or bulgar? Kathye

Lisa said...

Wow, that looks great. Dissertation time is stressful. Glad to see you're taking some time out for some good food to take care of yourself.

Shelby said...

Looks great Lobs!