I thought I had given up on making homemade tortillas, but I heard so many rave reviews over this recipe that I thought I would try it one last time. They were unlike any tortilla I have ever had...they kind of reminded me of a cross between a tortilla and naan...but that's not a complaint. I ended up eating two right on the spot. Next time I guess I will make a huge batch and freeze them. I couldn't tell you if they are authentic or not...but they suit this Canadian just fine.
So what does one make with homemade tortillas? Enchiladas! Complete with homemade enchilada sauce. I've made that sauce a number of times, it freezes extremely well.
So on to the enchiladas....I based my recipe on this one from Vegweb. These are very versatile...you can throw whatever you please into the filling.
Vegan "Cheese" Enchilada-1 can enchilada sauce
-10 tortillas
-1 red hot chili pepper (for garnish, or alternatively you could use olives or whatever you please)
Cheese Sauce:
-1/2 c. flour
-1/2 c. nutritional yeast
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. garlic powder
-1 1/2 c. water
-2 tsp. yellow mustard
-2 tbsp. vegan margarine
Filling:
-2 c. beans (whatever kind you like...I used black beans and kidney beans)
-1 c. ground round (I used homemade ground seitan from Vegan Vittles - if you don't want to use this just add more beans)
-1 small white or yellow onion, minced
-2 jalapeƱos, seeded and minced
-3 green onions, sliced
-1/2 c. salsa
-2 tbsp. chili powder
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. In saucepan over medium heat, combine flour, nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder. Add water. Whisk to combine. Stir constantly as sauce boils and thickens. When thickened, remove from heat and add mustard and margarine.
2. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add onion and saute until soft. Add jalapeƱo and green onion. Saute for a few more minutes. Add ground round (if using) and beans. Add salsa and chili powder. If filling is sticking to skillet, add some water. Saute over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Add half of the cheese sauce to the filling and stir.
3. In a casserole dish, cover bottom with enchilada sauce. Take each tortilla, spoon some filling in it, and roll it up. Place in the casserole dish seam side down. When done, cover the enchiladas with the rest of the enchilada sauce. Next, cover them with the rest of the cheese sauce. Add your garnish if you are using.
4. Bake 35-45 minutes in oven, until top starts to brown. They will be extremely hot so you should probably let them sit for a few minutes before you dig in.
I've made huge batches of this before and froze the leftovers. This works fairly well. I just reheat in the microwave.

4 comments:
These look yummy to me!
This sounds outrageously tasty!
Oh man, this is another recipe that I've bookmarked and I'm yet to make them!! Yours looks SO good, so cheesy and yummy!!!
I tried that tortilla recipe a while back and they were far too thick and puffy, although they tasted great. I think I just didn't roll them thin enough, I'm going to look into a tortilla press if I try again. Yours look great, and I'm impressed that they rolled into enchiladas! Very tasty looking enchiladas.
Post a Comment