Trying out Vegan Brunch

My copy of Vegan Brunch arrived last Friday and I was so excited to spend the night curled up with my newest cookbook. I've been playing around with a few dishes all weekend. First I made the basic scrambled tempeh. I stuck fairly close to the recipe with the exceptions of uing kale as the green and omitting the oil:


I also made a batch of the chorizo sausages. I didn't have any pinto beans on hand so I used some kidney beans I had in the freezer. I also used water instead of veggie broth (I was out) and omitted the oil. They turned out SO good! Here is one that the bf cooked on the bbq for me, along with grilled asparagus and a potato piled with pickled peppers (mmm!):

The next day I wanted to use more of the delicious sausages so I made the sausage and collards and sausage dish, but I used kale instead as that is what I had. Once again I omitted the oil, but other than that I stuck pretty close to the recipe. I love kale and I love these sausages so naturally I loved the two together.

Last night for dinner I made the shiitake-dill fritatta...except I didn't use shiitakes as I don't care for the texture. So instead I used standard button mushrooms. If you like dill, you will LOVE this dish. It reminded me of dill pickle chips which were the one flavour I really liked. Can you get vegan dill pickle chips? I've never seen them, but then again I haven't been looking too hard. Anyway, I digress. This fritatta was a wee bit crumbly, but it tasted so good I really didn't care.

The book also has a section of sweeter dishes (pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc) as well as baked goods....there's nothing I love more than warm carbs smothered in sweet maple syrup but I think I shall leave exploring that part of the book until after the wedding lest my dress not fit, seeing as how moderation of pancakes is not my strongest virtue.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look great, Lobs! Glad to see you back in the kitchen, Ksthye

Linda said...

YAY on the new cookbook ;) I especially love the look of the sausage, potato, & grilled asparagus!

Shelby said...

It all looks delish Lobs!

Lisa said...

your dishes look delicious! I haven't cooked anything from the book yet but I can't wait.

nora said...

vegan brunch!!!!!!!!!! yayyyy. im in europe right now, but my 21st bday is in 2 days (ill be in athens) and were celebrating once we get back to the states in a wk or 2. instead of having a bday dinner with the fam im gonna have a bday brunch using vegan brunch. im so excited! and its nice to know everything still came out great without the oil! :)

aTxVegn said...

I got my cookbook too. I made the chorizo sausages but gave them away since I can't eat them, but they sure smelled great. I made the cauliflower fritatta and it was totally crumbles. I kept looking for some wet ingredients to add cuz it seemed dry. The best thing I've made is the potato spinach squares - very yummy.

I thought all dill pickles were vegan. I better check the labels more carefully I guess.

Carrie said...

Good to know it wasn't just my fritatta that was crumbly...it was so good though! It would be heaven if it would stay together.

Katy said...

Aaaah, nothing like a new cookbook. It's like making a new friend.

Your photos are great; everything looks so delicious.

Erin said...

It seems like everyone has purchased this book except me! Gotta get my hands on it soon, everything I have seen looks so good.

If you like dill pickle flavor and are near a Target you may want to check out their Archer Farms brand dill pickle cashews. They're by no means spectacularly healthy, but eaten a few at a time here and there they're really good!

Hua said...

Hi Carrie,

That fritatta looks great. Too bad it falls appart so easily

I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua