Tonight for dinner I had quite a few mushrooms to use up when I remembered that Happy Herbivore had a recipe for mushroom stroganoff in her e-cookbook, Pudge-Free Holidays. Perfect. Except I already had my allotted 1 c. of grain for lunch. Boo. Enter the fabulous chickpea.
I made a few changes to the recipe to get rid of some veggies that needed to be used. Instead of an onion, I used a lonely leek that was on its way out. I omitted the carrot (counts as a starch on Eat to Live) and added a wee bit of red pepper and green onion. I put this over chickpeas and voila, a very comforting meal that was prepared lickity split. After all of those changes is it still considered stroganoff? I have no idea, but it was delicious all the same.
As a side note, lately I am obsessed with these mini mandarin oranges. They are on sale super cheap as the holiday season is over and they need to get rid of them. You do not want to know how many I have eaten in the past two days. Well, even if you did want to know, I've lost count. Here is one next to a quarter, just so you can see how tiny (and cute!) it is:

I made a few changes to the recipe to get rid of some veggies that needed to be used. Instead of an onion, I used a lonely leek that was on its way out. I omitted the carrot (counts as a starch on Eat to Live) and added a wee bit of red pepper and green onion. I put this over chickpeas and voila, a very comforting meal that was prepared lickity split. After all of those changes is it still considered stroganoff? I have no idea, but it was delicious all the same.
As a side note, lately I am obsessed with these mini mandarin oranges. They are on sale super cheap as the holiday season is over and they need to get rid of them. You do not want to know how many I have eaten in the past two days. Well, even if you did want to know, I've lost count. Here is one next to a quarter, just so you can see how tiny (and cute!) it is:

6 comments:
Looks yummy, Lobs. Are those mini's also called "clementines"? I'm addicted to them also! Kathye
Lobs, what a terrfic adaption of a recipe!
I love tangerines, too. Don't you just love it when you break into the peel the oil and essence seen to effervesce and tickle your nose?
Your stroganoff looks yummy!
If those oranges are only the size of a quarter, it makes sense you would have eaten a lot of them...I probably would too!
Carrie, I'm addicted to clementines currently being sold as "Cuties", but they aren't as small as your mandarins.
Serving the stroganoff over chickpeas sounds really good!
those mushrooms look creamy and comforting. And a great solution to stick with your meal planning!
Looks yummy!
Post a Comment