In my pregan days I loved regular meatloaf. I even requested it for my 14th birthday dinner. Seriously, what 14 year old requests meatloaf for her birthday dinner?! Come to think of it, that was my last non-veg birthday, but I digress. So clearly I have a love for meatloaf. I found this recipe for TVP meatloaf about a year ago. I instantly fell in love with it. I've been tinkering around with it and each time I make it a bit differently.
Here's my most recent version, served with roasted green beans, roasted brussel sprouts, and a salad:
TVP Meatloaf: (adapated from here)
-2 c. water
-1/2 c. ketchup
-2 tbsp. tamari
-2 c. unconstituted TVP
-1/2 c. oats
-1/4 c. ground flax
-1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
-3 tsp. garlic powder
-2 tsp. onion powder
-1/3 c. bbq sauce (whichever one is your favourite)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Mix water, ketchup, and tamari. Add TVP and let sit 10 minutes.
3. Add in oats, flax, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix.
4. On a cooking sheet, form the mixture into a loaf. Trust me, this ends up with a nice outer crust that you don't get with a loaf pan. Bake 30 minutes.
5. Spread bbq sauce over top. Return to oven for 10 minutes.
6. If desired, broil for 3-5 minutes to crisp up top.
Serves 4.
If you were to use the exact ingredients I did, it would come in at 374 calories, 5.2 g fat, 47.8 g carbohydrates, and 33.9 g protein per serving.
Here's my most recent version, served with roasted green beans, roasted brussel sprouts, and a salad:
TVP Meatloaf: (adapated from here)-2 c. water
-1/2 c. ketchup
-2 tbsp. tamari
-2 c. unconstituted TVP
-1/2 c. oats
-1/4 c. ground flax
-1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
-3 tsp. garlic powder
-2 tsp. onion powder
-1/3 c. bbq sauce (whichever one is your favourite)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Mix water, ketchup, and tamari. Add TVP and let sit 10 minutes.
3. Add in oats, flax, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix.
4. On a cooking sheet, form the mixture into a loaf. Trust me, this ends up with a nice outer crust that you don't get with a loaf pan. Bake 30 minutes.
5. Spread bbq sauce over top. Return to oven for 10 minutes.
6. If desired, broil for 3-5 minutes to crisp up top.
Serves 4.
If you were to use the exact ingredients I did, it would come in at 374 calories, 5.2 g fat, 47.8 g carbohydrates, and 33.9 g protein per serving.

11 comments:
Carrie, your meatloaf looks VERY good indeed. I love meatloaf too.
It looks great, Lobs, and the roasted veggies look wonderful. Glad you are able to recreate memories vegan-style.
Looks great! I haven't found a vegan meatloaf that I'm really happy with yet, but then again I haven't been trying too hard :)
Yeah! Lentil loaf with walnuts rocks too. I love TVP though. I dug meatloaf too when I was a corpse muncher extraordinaire about 23 years ago!
I tasted my first meatloaf right before going vegetarian ages and ages ago. I liked it, but lentils and walnuts sound so much better!
1/2 cup of ketchup! nice! this meatloaf looks so close to what I remember, too. yum!
literally just took this out of the oven 5 minutes ago, and i am just devouring it right now. sooo good. thank you!
this sounds so flavorful and satisfying!
Yummy! I'm a meatloaf lover too and that one looks so good!
looks good. maybe when i get my lazy ass into some actual food making, i'll give this a try :)
I love that it has a good amount of flax in it, I'm always trying to find new ways to add it to our diet. Definitely going on our menu soon!
Post a Comment