30 Day Detox: days 18-23

Wow, I've been bad at keeping this thing up to date. Such is life once school begins again.

Day 18

Before I went to the gym I had a handful of raisins. When I got back I had a smoothie with protein powder, flax, psyllium husk, frozen berries, and soy milk. Later for a snack I had a peach.

For lunch I had a salad with mixed greens, lemon tofu, and balsamic vinaigrette. I also had 2 nectarines.


That night for dinner, I had the Moroccan Tagine with Spring Vegetables from Vegan with a Vengeance (in keeping up with the PPK Cookbook Challenge). This was sooooo good...even my veggie hating husband liked it. I served it on top of quinoa.

Day 19

For breakfast I had another smoothie with frozen berries, protein powder, flax, psyllium husk, and soy milk. I also had a peach.

That day for lunch I had a very similar salad as Day 18 greens, lemon tofu, and balsamic vinaigrette. I also had 2 nectarines. Later on for a snack I had some kale chips.

For supper that night I made the mango summer rolls from Vegan with a Vengeance. I gotta say, this recipe didn't really do it for me. I have issues with fruit in savoury dishes. I thought I would try these to branch out, especially since we're in the middle of a heat wave and these didn't require me to do much cooking. Anyway, a lot of other folk on the internet seem to love these so I think it's just me and my weird fruit issues.

Day 20

I was out of things to make smoothies with, so after the gym I had protein powder mixed with water, as well as a bowl of oat bran with agave and cinnamon. This was okay, but I missed my morning fruit.

For lunch I had a salad with spinach, romaine, radish, quinoa, tofu, and balsamic vinaigrette, as well as an orange. Later on for a snack I had two peaches and some cucumber.

It was still so hot that night that I didn't have it in me to cook...I had some refried beans cold out of the can mixed with salsa. That's right, I ate cold beans out of a can. And I liked it.

Day 21

I was still out of smoothie making materials, so for breakfast I had a tofu scramble loaded with veggies (onion, carrot, broccoli, mushrooms, and spinach) as well as an orange.

For lunch I had a salad with romaine, radish, broccoli, carrot, snap peas, chickpeas, and balsamic vinaigrette, and another orange.

For supper that night I made the braised cauliflower with three seed sauce from Vegan with a Vengeance. This was surprisingly really good. I always passed by it when flipping through the cookbook without giving it a second thought. The only reason I made it is that I had a head of cauliflower to use up ASAP. I also made a chickpea soup, based on the punk rock chickpea gravy recipe.
Day 22

Before I went to the gym I had a banana. When I got back I had a smoothie with protein powder, flax, psyllium husk, soy milk, and frozen fruit. Later on I had a nectarine.

For lunch I had leftover chickpea soup and braised cauliflower. I usually don't have a problem with leftovers, but I did not care for the cauliflower the next day at all...I couldn't finish it.

That night for supper I made the corn chowder from Vegan with a Vengeance. This certainly wasn't photogenic so I won't make you look at a picture of ugly soup. This was alright, but I think it could use some tweaking. It was a tad too sweet for me, I think next time I would omit the maple syrup.

Day 23

I went for a really long bike ride in the morning. When I got back I had a banana and some protein powder mixed with soy milk.

Later for lunch I made myself a salad with greens, sauteed asparagus, roasted tomatoes, tofu basil ricotta, and olives. I also had a peach.

That afternoon I had some cherries and a nectarine for a snack. For supper I made the Ethiopian Seitan and Peppers from Vegan with a Vengeance...but subbing tofu for the seitan. This was alright...I honestly don't think I would make it again. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the most flavourful thing ever either. Perhaps it's better with the seitan. I also had a pear and some more cherries.

Well only one more week to go for the detox!

Next week's cookbook challenge is Vegan Brunch.



9 comments:

Sarah w said...

I am LOVING your blog! Especially your detox postings am cookbook adventures. I soooooo need a detox of clean whole vegan foods and desperately want to work thru some cookbook recipes, but I'm currently squatting at the inlaws house while we wait to close on our house in 2 weeks! I need fresh food. I'm glad u posted abt the tagine recipe, I really want to try it and if ur veggie hating hubbu liked it ten it must be good!

Sky said...

oh yea im totally weird with fruit in savory dishes as well. it reminds me of that nasty holiday fruit loaf, not sure why

nora said...

I served the tagine on top of quinoa when I made it too!

Linda said...

I am impressed with your dedication! The tagine looks delicious, and even though you weren't crazy about them--the mango rolls are beautiful.

Shelby said...

I love the fruit and veggies. I am having a hard time with fruits lately though. I have gotten bad pineapple, bad apples and bad kiwi! The only fruit I have had luck with recently are plouts. I'm liking your salad w/ the lemon tofu too!

Erin said...

Hey, you're doing better than I did at keeping up! I can't believe you're combining the cleanse and the cookbook challenge, talk about a real challenge! Just keeping up with the cleanse was hard enough for me.

Sarah W. said...

is it sad that I keep waiting for you to post?? :) are you going to participate in vegan mofo??

also i noticed you are on veganbodybuilding.com :-D so am I!

How do I get brown rice protein powder to actually taste good in green smoothies I make? I made eat drink and be vegan's "drink your greens" smoothie one day and it was DELISH, the next day I added brown rice protein powder and it was nasty.

thoughts? maybe I just need more fruit in my smoothies like frozen blueberries and shouldn't worry about it actually looking like a poopy color LOL

Mihl said...

Wow, I'd love a bowl of that tagine right now!!!

bradinthe541 said...

I really love this blog. I found it through veganbodybuilding.com and am glad I did!
Keep up the great work!
- Brad