Between finishing up my dissertation and applying on a bajillion jobs, I haven't had much time to cook anything overly exciting (nor the time to post about it if I did). With a move looming somewhere in the future (not sure where yet...depends on the outcome of the bajillion job applications) it is my mission to use up the abundance of items I have in my pantry. My cupboards are full of miscellaneous beans, grains, pastas, and other assorted goodies. Sometimes I use recipes, sometimes I throw a bunch of random things together and hope it turns out.
Like this stew. I had a tiny bit of red lentils and a tiny bit of split yellow peas so I combined them. I added some diced tomato, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, spices, and kale, and voila, a nice lentil-split pea soup (not the prettiest thing in the world I realize).
A few weeks ago my husband was in the Bay Area for a work trip. On the way home he picked me up a loaf of sourdough they were selling in the San Francisco airport. Imagine my surprise when I go to pick him up at the airport and he gets off of the plane with a bag of sourdough.
I had a sweet potato in my fridge that needed to be used, plus some butternut squash in my freezer, so I made a sweet potato-butternut soup to go with the bread.

Finally, I also had a handful of couscous left in a jar. Not enough couscous to really do anything with, so I combined it with some chickpeas and topped it with roasted butternut squash, zucchini, eggplant, and onion. This was inspired by a dish from The Kind Diet which I finally got from the library...I've been on the waiting list since it first came out months ago.

Like this stew. I had a tiny bit of red lentils and a tiny bit of split yellow peas so I combined them. I added some diced tomato, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, spices, and kale, and voila, a nice lentil-split pea soup (not the prettiest thing in the world I realize).
A few weeks ago my husband was in the Bay Area for a work trip. On the way home he picked me up a loaf of sourdough they were selling in the San Francisco airport. Imagine my surprise when I go to pick him up at the airport and he gets off of the plane with a bag of sourdough.I had a sweet potato in my fridge that needed to be used, plus some butternut squash in my freezer, so I made a sweet potato-butternut soup to go with the bread.

Finally, I also had a handful of couscous left in a jar. Not enough couscous to really do anything with, so I combined it with some chickpeas and topped it with roasted butternut squash, zucchini, eggplant, and onion. This was inspired by a dish from The Kind Diet which I finally got from the library...I've been on the waiting list since it first came out months ago.


13 comments:
Who are you kidding? That red lentil-split be thing looks AMAZING! I want some for lunch!
Sheesh!
I wish my "Pantry Challenge" (from way back) looked half as good as your "operation" does...
All of that food is scrumptious - no fair!
All those meals look very delicious! They make me hungry.
Everything looks fresh and healthy. Great dishes.
Your pics are great!! I agree w/Susie- that red lentil thing looks really good.
Pantry challenges are fun! Good looking eats here.
I love this type of cooking! I am not usually creative enough to just toss stuff together and wing it but when it happens and is successful, pure bliss!
Love your blog, hope you're able to post more when life settles down a bit.
Hi
just came through foodieblogroll..nice recipes and lovely pics of thr dishes!!
great looking meal!
This is a nice blog, I am thinking of adding you to my blogroll.
http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com
Great job on using up pantry items! Everything looks delicious! :-)
Lovely and I have to say that nothing beats sourdough from San Fran!
Great job with your pantry finds. Creative finds and wonderfully made dishes.
Post a Comment